Monday, September 11, 2006

Time to get married?

When I was growing up, my mom always told me to get an education and have a career. Getting married and having kids could wait. But now, apparently, my time is up. When I went home to visit my family in June, my mom and grandma told me that I should focus less on my career and more on finding a husband. Time is running out - if I don't find a man soon, I will become too old and nobody will want me.

Furthermore, my grandma says that I should marry "within my category" - which is code for white, Christian (preferably Southern Baptist, but Methodist would probably do), and Southern.

I called my grandma this weekend to tell her about Peace Corps, and she told me she has found me a husband! His name is Frank, and he's a Marine. And "within my category" I'm sure. And it appears Frank is in cahoots with her on this plan - I heard him in the background asking about me.

Thanks but no thanks, Grandma. An arranged marriage is not my idea of fun.

No comments: